stunning contemporary kimonos using traditional techniques:
The evening included the following:
- screening of Rik’s presentation about Fukushima at the 2014 Remember Fukushima public meeting at the House of Commons, London
- Alex Xi Zhang screened ‘Dilemma‘, her documentary about Fukushima
- Nobu, Lis Fields, Alex Xi Zhang and Nobu discussed Fukushima and the Red Kimono art project and answered questions – photos by David X Green
- Ann Garrett read two of her poems about Fukushima and Trident
- William Fontaine performed three sound-based works
poster for the evening:
a Japanese version of the text about the project can be found here
‘Red Kimono: Yvonne’ will be included in the Portrait Salon group exhibition @ The Embassy Tea Gallery, 19th – 22nd November, 2015
Launch event: Thursday 19th November, 2015, 6:30pm
‘Portrait Salon was founded by Carole Evans and James O Jenkins in 2011 as a response to the Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize. A form of Salon des Refusés – an exhibition of works rejected from a juried art show – it aims to showcase the best of the rejected images from the Taylor Wessing Prize, which is organised annually by the National Portrait Gallery in London. The NPG Taylor Wessing Portrait Prize is one of the most prestigious photography prizes in the world, attracting entrants from professionals and amateurs alike’.
In February 2016 the Portrait Salon selection will travel to The Reminders Photography Stronghold Gallery in Tokyo where it will be part of a project called ‘I / Land’ in association with Miniclick and photography curator and editor Yumi Goto.